Education & Post-Doctoral Training
Centre for Education Research & Innovation, Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry
The University of Western Ontario (Western), London ON
Supervisor: Dr. Lorelei Lingard
CIHR-STIHR Post-Doctoral Fellow in Health Care, Technology, and Place (HCTP)
Institute of Health Policy, Management, & Evaluation, University of Toronto, Toronto ON
HCTP Adjunct Mentor: Dr. Catherine Schryer, Ryerson University
|2007-2011||Doctor of Philosophy
Health Professional Education Field
Health & Rehabilitation Sciences Graduate Program, Western
Supervisors: Dr. Doreen Bartlett and Dr. S. Deb Lucy
Advisors: Dr. E. Anne Kinsella and Dr. Richard Seewald
|2004-2006||Master of Science, Audiology
School of Communication Sciences & Disorders
Faculty of Health Sciences, Western
Supervisor: Dr. Susan Scollie
|2000-2004||Bachelor of Arts
Honors Perception & Communication Science, Scholar's Electives Program
Faculty of Social Science, Western
Supervisors: Dr. Donald G. Jamieson and Dr. Marc Joanisse
Professional Experience (partial list)
- Clinical Audiologist, London Hearing Centre, 2011-2013
- Coordinator, Health Professional Education Seminar Series, Western 2012-2013
- Course Instructor, Master of Health Professional Education UBC-Western-Maastricht University, 2012-2013
- Course Instructor, School of Communciation Sciences & Disorders, Western, 2010-2012
- Educational Audiologist, Thames Valley District School Board, 2006-2011
Publications (partial list)
and G oogle Scholar for up-to-date publication lists.
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters
- Ng, S. (2017). Disclosing a Critical Incident: Inspiring Reflective Practice. In Peterkin & Brett-MacLean (Ed.), Keeping Reflection Fresh.
- Ng, S., Lingard, L., Kennedy, T. (2013). Qualitative research in medical education: Methodology and methods. In T. Swanick (Ed.), Understanding Medical Education: Evidence, Theory, and Practice, West-Sussex, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Kinsella, E. A., Caty, M.E., Ng, S., & Jenkins, K. (2012). Reflective practice for allied health: Theory and practice. In L. English (Ed.), Adult Education and Health, Toronto, ON: University of Toronto Press.
Selected Online Resources
- Baker, L., Friesen, F., Ng, S. Expert Response in the Case of Honorary Authorship at ALiEM.com
- Ng, S.L. (2009, June). An introduction to reflective practice for audiologists. Audiology Online.
Presentations (partial list - last updated 2015)
Upcoming/Recent Invited Talks
- Ng, S. (2015, Nov). Launching a funded programme of research in clinical education & supervision: Theory, tips…& tricks. ASHA SIG 11 Invited Speaker. Denver, CO: https://submissions.mirasmart.com/ASHA2015/Itinerary/ItinerarySubmissionDetail.aspx?sbmID=706
- Ng, S. (2015, Oct). Knowledge, Competence? and Expertise: Making sense of challenges and creativity in everyday practice. CAA Annual Conference. Niagara Falls, ON: https://canadianaudiology.ca/what-we-do/annual-conference-and-exhibition/abstracts/#tba
- Ng, S. (2014, Nov). Blurring the lines: Learning from practice to inform education. Invited keynote lecture at University of Toronto's Dept. of ObGyn Faculty Development Day, Toronto, ON.
- Ng, S. (2014, March). Toward a Community of Education Scholarship: Teaching & Learning in Audiology. AudiologyNOW! (American Academy of Audiology Annual Conference) Featured Speaker Sessions, Orlando, FL.
- Ng, S.(2013, June 25). A tale of two transitions: Methodological challenges in HPE research. The Bayfield Meeting in Health Professions Education Research, Bayfield, ON.
- Ng, S.(2013, June 14). The state of the science in clinical education. Invited faculty development workshop. The Art and Science of Clinical Teaching: Classroom to Clinic, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Ng, S.(2013, June 15). Using reflection in clinical teaching. Invited faculty development workshop. The Art and Science of Clinical Teaching: Classroom to Clinic, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Ng, S. (2013, April 6). From Linebackers to Quarterbacks: Improving Audiology Education and Practice. AudiologyNOW! (American Academy of Audiology Annual Conference) Featured Speaker Sessions, Anaheim CA.
- Ng, S. (2012, Dec 7 and 14). The Real World: The "Actualities" of the School Setting for Children and Practitioners. Oticon Pediatrics Conference: Educational Considerations and FM Use with Special Populations. Somerset, NJ and Scottsdale, AZ.
- Ng, S. (2012, Oct 6). Uncovering Tacit Knowledge and Ruling Relations: Becoming, Being, and Working as an Audiologist in Today's Complex Systems. Colorado Academy of Audiology Annual Convention, Vail, CO.
Upcoming/Recent Presentations - Abstracts Accepted
- Ng et al. Creativity and Conflict in Supporting Kids with Hearing Loss: Research on the Clinic-School Interface. Research Podium accepted for presentation at AudiologyNOW! Meeting of the American Academy of Audiology, Anaheim, CA, April 2013.
- Ng et al. Clinicians Beyond Clinic: Mapping Health Professional Practice in the Special Education Context. Canadian Conference on Medical Education, Quebec City, QC, April 2013.
- Phelan, S. & Ng. Navigating the system: A critical examination of school health practice. Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists National Conference, Victoria, BC, May 2013.
- A Journey into the Practice of Institutional Ethnography. Rogano Research Academy, Lyon France, August 2012.
- Ng et al. Clinicians Beyond Clinic: Integrated Care in a Non-Healthcare Setting, Academy of Medical Education of Europe Annual Conference, Lyon France, August 2012.
Awards, Scholarships, & Grants (partial list - last updated 2015)
|Year||Grant, approx. $ value||Topic of Study|
|2015-2016||SIM-One Continuing Interprofessional Development Program in At-home Care. of Seniors (Co-Principal Applicant), $99 500||Learning in place to support aging in place: A virtual home-based homecare curriculum|
|2015-2016||American Academy of Audiology New Investigator Award, $10 000||The development of ethical clinician and scientist relationships with industry: A grounded theory study and faculty development initiative|
|2015-2016||A.P. Gold Foundation Research Grant. (Co-Principal Investigator), $27 500||Exploring the Interface of Evidence-Based Practice and Compassionate Care|
|2014-2016||AMS Phoenix Foundation, (Co-Principal Investigator), $10 000 + matched funds||Uncovering "Evidence" for Compassionate Care|
|2014||Continuing Education Research & Development Grant (Co-Principal Investigator), $5000||Evaluation of Sim-One's Flipped Online Research Primer|
|2014-2016||Dean's Fund (Co-Principal Investigator), $20 000||Policy, Practice, and Perceptions of Parent-Educator-Clinician-Adolescent "Tetrads" at the Clinic-School Interface|
|2013-2015||CAA Research Grant for Clinical Investigators (Co-Investigator), $5000||Development, Implementation, and Evaluation of a Hands & Voices Parent Toolkit|
|2013-2015||CIHR Open Operating Grant (Co-Principal Investigator), $134 000||Integrated Care & Team Working for Children with Disailities: An Institutional Ethnography of Health Professional Practice in the Special Education Context|
|2012||Association for Medical Education in Europe Top 10 Poster (out of approx. 800)||Clinicians Beyond Clinic: Health Professional Practice in the Special Education Context|
|2012||CIHR-IHDCYH ICS Travel Award, $1500||Clinicians Beyond Clinic: Health Professional Practice in the Special Education Context|
|2011||Ontario Health Human Resources Research Network Research Planning Grant (Principal Investigator), $15 000||Clinicians Beyond Clinic: Health Professional Practice in the Special Education Context|
|2011||Inaugural Award for Outstanding Virtual Poster,
Centre for Education Research & Innovation Annual Research Symposium
|Clinicians Beyond Clinic: Health Professional Practice in the Special Education Context|
|2011-2013||CIHR-STIHR Fellowship in Health Care, Technology, and Place (HCTP)||Clinicians Beyond Clinic: Health Professional Practice in the Special Education Context|
|2011-2013||Lawson Health Research Institute Internal Research Fund (Co-Principal Investigator), $15 000||Clinicians Beyond Clinic: Health Professional Practice in the Special Education Context|
Service (partial list)
- Current member of the Practice Advisory Committee, College of Audiologists & Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario
- Current member of the Early Career Medical Educators group
- Current member of the Educational Audiology Association's Social & Electronic Media Committee
See Teaching page